Fastest ever Audi S8 sets new benchmark with 189MPH
V8 TFSI engine boosted by 85PS and up to 750Nm of torque endows flagship Audi S8 plus sports saloon with a power output equivalent to almost seven A1 1.0 TFSI models
- 4.0 V8 TFSI engine produces 605 PS and up to 700Nm in normal operation – overboost function increases to torque to 750Nm, the highest output of any Audi on sale
- S8 plus has the highest power-to-weight ratio of any premium sports saloon with all-wheel drive at 293 PS per tonne
- 0-62mph in just 3.8 seconds, making the S8 plus the fastest accelerating Audi S model in the range and the fastest S8 ever
- Electronically limited 155mph top speed can be derestricted to 189mph
- Sports exhaust, power door closure, unique 21-inch alloy wheels and carbon fibre front spoiler lip and side flaps form part of standard UK specification
- Pricing starts at £97,700 OTR and ordering opens in October
Supercar pace and archetypal Audi A8 luxury converge in the Audi S8 plus, a new evolution of the already formidable S8 performance saloon developed using the combined expertise of Audi and its specialist high performance division quattro GmbH. Ramping up power from the 520PS offered by the ‘standard’ S8 to an intoxicating 605PS, the S8 plus is also capable of producing up to 750Nm of torque on demand - the highest output of any Audi in the current model range. It will open for ordering in October, priced from £97,700 OTR, and first UK deliveries are expected to commence in January 2016.
Encased by the lightweight, predominantly aluminium Audi Space Frame, which in isolation weighs just 231kg, is a modified version of the 4.0 TFSI engine already used to power the current 520PS S8. This sonorous V8 biturbo unit has been extensively modified and gains special engine management control with speed and charge pressure boosting to its modified exhaust valves. The inner geometry of the turbocharger has also been optimised for efficiency.
An overboost function facilitates the maximum torque elevation from 700Nm (516.3 lb-ft) to a muscular 750Nm (553.2 lb-ft) when required. As a result, a mere 3.8 seconds is all it takes for the stately super saloon to blast past 62 mph, after which it swiftly pulls towards an electronically limited 155mph top speed. Upon choosing the optional dynamic package, top speed increases to 189mph, and fade-resistant carbon-fibre reinforced ceramic brakes are added, featuring brake calipers finished in anthracite-grey with the Audi ceramic logo.
The full force of this prodigious output is transmitted to the road via an eight-speed tiptronic transmission and quattro all-wheel drive. A sports differential apportions the torque between the rear wheels for optimum directional stability. Chassis highlights include the S sports adaptive air suspension and dynamic steering, both of which have been tuned specifically for the S8 plus. UK specification models are fitted with 21-inch alloy wheels in a unique high-gloss black double-spoke design shod with specially designed size 275/35 tyres.
The standard dual-branch sports exhaust system opens out into two oval high-gloss black tailpipes on the left and right. It is modified by quattro GmbH and gives the S8 plus an unmistakable V8 sound.
To look at the selection of Audi Bramley currently have in stock today: